All Spiritual Counsels
- YES I DO WANT TO BE SAVED
- WHY SILENCE? WHY THE DESERT?
- WHY SHOULD WE FAST?
- WHY DO MY PRAYERS FOR HELP IN MY DAILY STRUGGLE REMAIN UNANSWERED?
- WHO IS OUR VENERABLE FATHER ARSENIOS OF CAPPADOCIA, THE WONDERWORKER?
- WHICH IS BETTER - THE WAY OF MARY OR THE WAY OF MARTHA?
- USELESS KNOWLEDGE AND IDLE CURIOSITY
- THE WORD OF GOD
- THE VALUE OF MATERIAL THINGS
- THE SIGNIFICANCE OF A PRIDEFUL THOUGHT ACCORDING TO ST. PAISIOS
- THE SECRET TO OBTAINING THE GRACE OF GOD
- THE PRIEST WHO DID NOT WANT TO SERVE THE DIVINE LITURGY
- THE IMPORTANCE OF SELF-KNOWLEDGE ACCORDING TO ST. NECTARIOS THE WONDERWORKER
- THE IMPORTANCE OF PLACE IN THE SPIRIUTAL LIFE
- THE GREATEST MISSION OF THE CHURCH IS THE DIVINE LITURGY
- THE EVIL ONE WARS AGAINST SPIRITUAL STRUGGLERS
- THE BROTHER WHO WAS SAVED WITHOUT EFFORT BECAUSE HE DIDN'T JUDGE
- THE BENEFITS OF ALMSGIVING - AN AMAZING MIRACLE
- THE ATHEIST STUDENT WHO VISITED MOUNT ATHOS
- SOMETIMES EVEN THE DEVIL TELLS THE TRUTH
- SLEEPINESS AND PRAYER
- SINS AND PASSIONS
- SIN - DESPAIR - REPENTANCE
- SHOULD I OR SHOULD I NOT REVEAL MY THOUGHTS TO ANOTHER?
- SEEK NOT THE PRAISES OF MEN
- SAYINGS BY ABBA AMMONAS
- REMAIN SILENT OR SPEAK UP?
- PRAYER AND FASTING
- ON JUDGING PRIESTS
- ON JUDGING
- OF WHAT DOES THE SPIRITUAL SEARCH CONSIST?
- MIRACULOUS SIMPLICITY OF AN ATHONITE ELDER
- MALICE - PRAYER AND ASCETICISM
- LIGHT AND DARKNESS IN THE SOUL
- JESUS AS THE NEW ADAM
- IS REPENTANCE AND VIRTUE FOR LAY PEOPLE?
- IS FASTING NECESSARY? ASK THE DEMONS!
- HUMILITY - THE FOUNDATION OF ALL VIRTUES
- HOW TO PLEASE GOD - ACCORDING TO ST. ANTHONY THE GREAT
- HOW TO DEAL WITH TEMPTATIONS AND PROBLEMS IN LIFE
- HATING THE CAUSES OF SIN
- FREEDOM THAT ALTERS
- FAITH AND WORKS
- ELDER PAISIOS CANONISED BY THE ECUMENICAL PATRIARCHATE
- DOES THE DEVIL REALLY EXIST?
- DO WE SOMETIMES RELY TOO MUCH ON OURSELVES? CAN THIS LEAD US TO EXCESSIVE GRIEF?
- DEALING WITH SPIRITUAL DEPRESSION AND ANXIETY
- COMBATING DESPAIR
- BEFORE THE NEW TESTAMENT WAS THE DIVINE LITURGY
- BE THANKFUL TO GOD FOR EVERYTHING
- BE AT PEACE WITH YOUR OWN SOUL
- AUTHENTIC HUMILITY
- ATTACHMENT TO EARTHLY THINGS MAKE US FOREIGN TO HEAVENLY THINGS
- AN AMAZING STORY - THE IMPORTANCE OF HUMILITY ACCORDING TO ST. ANTHONY AND THE SHOE-MAKER
- ADVICE FOR PARENTS FROM AN ELDER
- ACCORDING TO ELDER PAISIOS WHEN CAN WE HELP OTHERS SPIRITUALLY?
- ABBA SISOES AT THE TOMB OF ALEXANDER THE GREAT
- A PRISONER, A SHIPWRECKED SAILOR AND THE DIVINE LITURGY
- A NEW SAINT DECALRED
ON JUDGING PRIESTS
- Categorized in: Spiritual Counsels
Concerning the priesthood and judging those who occupy this holy office. It is tempting to think that we should not deal with a priest who commits sins or other misdeeds, judging him harshly for any errors he may have committed and refusing the sacraments he serves. Abba Mark the Egyptian teaches us by his example that we should not be so quick to judge. His experience shows us why:
It was said of Abba Mark the Egyptian that he lived for thirty years without going out of his cell. The priest used to take Holy Communion to him. But the devil, seeing the remarkable endurance of this man, decided to tempt him, by making him blame the priest. He brought it about that a demoniac went to the elder, under the pretext of asking for prayers. Before anything was said, the possessed man cried out to the elder, "Your priest smells of sin, do not let him come near you anymore." But Abba Mark, filled with the spirit of God, said to him, "My son, everyone rids himself of impurity, but you bring it. It is written: ‘Judge not for that you be not judged.’ (Matt. 7:1) However, even if he is a sinner, the Lord will save him, for it is written: ‘Pray for one another that you may be healed.’" (James 5:16)
When he had said this and when he had prayed, he drove the devil out of the man and sent him away healed. When the priest came, according to his custom, the elder received him with joy. Seeing the absence of malice in the elder, the good God showed him a marvel. When the priest prepared himself to stand before the holy table, this is what the elder related: "I saw the angel of the Lord descent from heaven and place his hand on the priest’s head and he became like a pillar of fire. I was filled with wonder at this sight, and I heard a voice saying to me, ‘Man, why are you astonished at this? In truth, if an earthly king does not allow his nobles to stand in his presence in soiled garments, but only arrayed in glory, how much more will the divine power purify the servants of the holy mysteries who stand before the heavenly glory?’" And the noble athlete of Christ, Abba Mark the Egyptian, became great and was judged worthy of this grace because he had not judged the priest.
Sr. Benedicta Ward, "The Sayings of the Desert Fathers," (Kalamazoo, Mich.: Cistercian Publications, 1975), Number 59 in the Cistercian Studies Series, pp. 150-151