All Spiritual Counsels
- YES I DO WANT TO BE SAVED
- WHY SILENCE? WHY THE DESERT?
- WHY SHOULD WE FAST?
- WHY DO MY PRAYERS FOR HELP IN MY DAILY STRUGGLE REMAIN UNANSWERED?
- WHO IS OUR VENERABLE FATHER ARSENIOS OF CAPPADOCIA, THE WONDERWORKER?
- WHICH IS BETTER - THE WAY OF MARY OR THE WAY OF MARTHA?
- USELESS KNOWLEDGE AND IDLE CURIOSITY
- THE WORD OF GOD
- THE VALUE OF MATERIAL THINGS
- THE SECRET TO OBTAINING THE GRACE OF GOD
- THE PRIEST WHO DID NOT WANT TO SERVE THE DIVINE LITURGY
- THE IMPORTANCE OF SELF-KNOWLEDGE ACCORDING TO ST. NECTARIOS THE WONDERWORKER
- THE IMPORTANCE OF PLACE IN THE SPIRIUTAL LIFE
- THE GREATEST MISSION OF THE CHURCH IS THE DIVINE LITURGY
- THE EVIL ONE WARS AGAINST SPIRITUAL STRUGGLERS
- THE BROTHER WHO WAS SAVED WITHOUT EFFORT BECAUSE HE DIDN'T JUDGE
- THE BENEFITS OF ALMSGIVING - AN AMAZING MIRACLE
- THE ATHEIST STUDENT WHO VISITED MOUNT ATHOS
- SOMETIMES EVEN THE DEVIL TELLS THE TRUTH
- SLEEPINESS AND PRAYER
- SINS AND PASSIONS
- SIN - DESPAIR - REPENTANCE
- SHOULD I OR SHOULD I NOT REVEAL MY THOUGHTS TO ANOTHER?
- SEEK NOT THE PRAISES OF MEN
- SAYINGS BY ABBA AMMONAS
- REMAIN SILENT OR SPEAK UP?
- PRAYER AND FASTING
- ON JUDGING PRIESTS
- ON JUDGING
- OF WHAT DOES THE SPIRITUAL SEARCH CONSIST?
- MIRACULOUS SIMPLICITY OF AN ATHONITE ELDER
- MALICE - PRAYER AND ASCETICISM
- LIGHT AND DARKNESS IN THE SOUL
- JESUS AS THE NEW ADAM
- IS REPENTANCE AND VIRTUE FOR LAY PEOPLE?
- IS FASTING NECESSARY? ASK THE DEMONS!
- HUMILITY - THE FOUNDATION OF ALL VIRTUES
- HOW TO DEAL WITH TEMPTATIONS AND PROBLEMS IN LIFE
- HATING THE CAUSES OF SIN
- FREEDOM THAT ALTERS
- FAITH AND WORKS
- ELDER PAISIOS CANONISED BY THE ECUMENICAL PATRIARCHATE
- DOES THE DEVIL REALLY EXIST?
- DO WE SOMETIMES RELY TOO MUCH ON OURSELVES? CAN THIS LEAD US TO EXCESSIVE GRIEF?
- DEALING WITH SPIRITUAL DEPRESSION AND ANXIETY
- COMBATING DESPAIR
- BEFORE THE NEW TESTAMENT WAS THE DIVINE LITURGY
- BE THANKFUL TO GOD FOR EVERYTHING
- BE AT PEACE WITH YOUR OWN SOUL
- AUTHENTIC HUMILITY
- ATTACHMENT TO EARTHLY THINGS MAKE US FOREIGN TO HEAVENLY THINGS
- AN AMAZING STORY - THE IMPORTANCE OF HUMILITY ACCORDING TO ST. ANTHONY AND THE SHOE-MAKER
- ADVICE FOR PARENTS FROM AN ELDER
- ACCORDING TO ELDER PAISIOS WHEN CAN WE HELP OTHERS SPIRITUALLY?
- ABBA SISOES AT THE TOMB OF ALEXANDER THE GREAT
- A PRISONER, A SHIPWRECKED SAILOR AND THE DIVINE LITURGY
- A NEW SAINT DECALRED
THE BROTHER WHO WAS SAVED WITHOUT EFFORT BECAUSE HE DIDN'T JUDGE
- Categorized in: Spiritual Counsels
There was once a layman who went to the Skete of Kavsokalyvia to become a monk. The fathers of the skete, however, wouldn't accept him, because apart from being idle and negligent, he was mischievous and always causing trouble. Since he felt at ease in the skete, he asked the fathers to allow him to remain there as a layman and do a little work.
So, he spent his life in idleness and neglect until the hour of his death, when he finally took to his bed awaiting his death. The fathers stood by him and were continuously at his side.
One day, the man who was about to die was seized by ecstasy and started making signs. The fathers were wondering what was happening! When he came to himself again, he described an awesome event to them:
"I saw the archangel Michael with a piece of paper in his hands, with all my sins on it, and he told me:
'You see? You did all that, so get ready to go to hell.’
Then, I said to him:
'Just have a look. Among all, those sins, does it mention the sin of judging others?'
The archangel looked and said to me:
‘No, it doesn’t.’
'In that case,' I told him. 'It is not right for me to go to Hell, according to what the Lord said: 'Do not judge and you will not be judged’ (Luke 6:37)
Then, the archangel Michael tore up the paper with my sins on. And so, fathers, I will go to Paradise. When you told me that I wouldn't do for a monk in the skete and I was working as a layman and going to church on feast days, I heard the words of the Gospel: 'Do not judge, that you be not judged' (Matt: 7:1) and I said:
'Wretched man, at least you can put that into practice.'
This way, I was saved without any other effort."
As soon as he had said these words, he commended his soul to the archangel Michael.
Athonite Fathers and Athonite Matters